Below are our Lodging policies at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge. By making a reservation and staying with us, you agree to adhere to all of the Lodging polices and respect the historical nature of the cabins, the Lodge building, and the resort (the resort is on the national and state historic registers).
The following are the general lodging policies for every reservation.
— Stay in a WPA-era Historic Log Cabin, built in 1934 —
[ Cabins at the KML: still standing, keep them standing, treat them with respect ]
• Cabins physically separate guests from different guests: Our cabins are separate structures so there is less chance of violating the social distancing protocol. [ See Property Map for location of the Cabins ]
• Less duplex cabins: We have converted most of our 1-bedroom duplexes into 2-bedroom/2-bathroom cabins to ensure that there are people from the same household staying in the same cabin (unless they choose to do so). [ See the list of 2-bedroom/2-bathroom cabins ]
• The Keweenaw Mountain Lodge is a cashless operations. Thus, all Lodging is to be paid by credit/debit card or with a form of electronic payment.
A 1-night deposit is required for making a reservation. The remaining balance of the reservation is paid at time of check-in.
Cabin reservations require a deposit due at time of booking. Reservations must be canceled at least 7 days prior to arrival to have the one night deposit returned. Reservations canceled less than 7 days prior to arrival will incur a charge for the full reservation value or you can select to have your full reservation value be converted into a gift certificate (available for use up to one year from your original arrival date).
The cabin rentals have a 2-night minimum stay. We will be keeping with blocking a day before and a day after each reservation for health and safety concerns for the staff and guests).
If you have any questions you can call our reservation line at 906-289-4403 ext 1 for more information. Rates are available in our reservation system based upon the selected dates.
Check-in / Check-out
• Currently we have contactless check-in and check-out. This is to ensure less contact between our staff and guest, as a result of the current health concerns and related executive orders issued by the State of Michigan.
• Guests will be called two days prior to arrival to go over check-in procedures, verify payment information on file and to answer any questions you may have.
• Cabins will be set up the day of arrival with the keys in the cabin and a light on for those later check-ins so guests can go directly to their reserved cabin(s).
• Check-in time: 3pm, depending on when your specific cabin is cleaned. If you need to have your cabin ready definitely at 3pm, make sure to call ahead of time so we schedule the cleaning of your cabin accordingly.
• Check-out time: 11am. Checking out after 11am will result in additional fees.
• When checking out, guests can leave the keys in the cabin or bring them to the key drop box at the front door of the Lodge.
Cleaning the Cabins
• Cabins are aired out after guests leave, and sat empty for a night. Our housekeeping crew cleans rooms the day after to be ready for the next guests, and does so by sanitizing all items that could come in contact by guests. Thus, we are currently not booking reservations back-to-back nights in the same cabin. Housekeeping will not be entering cabins for stay over cleanings, however we are placing additional linens and amenities in the cabins. You can find these additional items in the bedroom dressers if needed. Firewood will be stocked prior to arrival. Garbage can be set outside on the porch and will be picked up by our crew.
• Linens: We clean our own sheets, which ensures the level of cleanliness of our linens.
• Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi access is available to all guests. Use the “KML Guest” network.
• Internet speeds will be slower as we the furthest north location of Michigan (in the north woods), and we are not on fiber like in large cities.
• Since lodging is in cabins amongst the woods, Wi-Fi can be inconsistent depending on which cabin you are staying in. The cabins furtherest away from the Lodge building tend to receive the least Wi-Fi coverage, with the greatest Wi-Fi coverage being closest to the Lodge building. Thus, if WiFi is critical for your stay at the Lodge, we recommend you reserve a cabin closer to the Lodge building. [ see the property map for location of each of the cabins ]
• There is also a difference with WiFi connection inside the cabin vs standing on the front porch of a cabin (the logs are dense).
• Noise levels should be at an acceptable level as judged by the Lodge’s other guests and management. If management receives a noise complaint, we will only give one warning to quieten down. Receiving a second complaint will result in the guest(s) being asked to leave the property and no refund will be given.
• QUIET HOURS begin at 11:00 p.m., nightly. Loud noise, loud music, loud voices, and the likes are not permitted and can result in immediate eviction with no refund.
No Cooking in Cabin Policy
A microwave, coffee maker, hot water heater, and mini-fridge are provided in the cabins, and can be used by guests. In addition, grills are available outside of the cabin to be used with charcoal (not wood). No additional cooking equipment is allowed to be used in the cabins. Any guests that are found cooking in any cabin with equipment that is not provided by the resort will be subject to a fine of $250 and being expelled from the property.
No Smoking Policy
Please be aware that all cabins and rooms at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge are non-smoking. We respectfully ask all guests that do smoke to please do so outside. Smoking is allowed in designated outdoor areas around property as well on the patio of the Lodge. Any guests that are found smoking or have smoked in any room will be subject to a fine of $250 and being expelled from the property.
We are pet friendly at the Lodge, but do not allow pets in the Lodge building and have designated cabins specifically for guests with dogs. The cabins that we allow dogs are 3, 7, 8a, 8b, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 21.
There is a $20 fee per dog/per night (Exception: Service Animal, see “Service Animal” section for more details)
1. All dogs must be registered at check-in.
2. Dogs must NOT be left unattended for more than 1 hour in the cabins. When left unattended, dogs must be put in a crate.
3. Dogs must be on a leash when outside on the resort grounds.
4. Excessive barking and/or aggressive behavior will not be tolerated.
5. A maximum of two (2) dogs are allowed per cabin, unless approved by management.
6. All dogs subject to approval by management.
7. Dog waste must be immediately and properly disposed of in a sealed plastic bag.
8. Dogs may not be allowed to run loose at the resort. Inquire in office for location of unleash area.
9. Dogs are not allowed on the golf course or in the Lodge building. (Exception for service animals; must have proper documentation for service animal)
10. A penalty of $150 per dog if guests do not let the front desk know about the dog.
11. You are responsible for paying for any damage of Lodge property or to another guest that is caused by your dog.
[ Click on image above to view / download a PDF version of the map ]
Service Animals – Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person’s disability. Emotional support dogs are not considered service dogs under the ADA.
All resort guests must be registered. This includes infants and children. Rates are quoted at standard occupancy. Additional guest rate is $25 per night. This is in compliance with health and safety guidelines. We can not permit tents to be set up beside a cabin or to allow family members to sleep in campers in the parking lot. We are licensed as a resort, not a campground. We do not have public restrooms or the shower facilities necessary for such a license.
• Must be 21 years of age to register.
WAIVER AND RELEASE
I hereby, for myself and heirs, executors and administrators waive and release all rights and claims for damages I may have against Keweenaw Mountain Lodge and Keweenaw Resort, LLC, its respective agents, owners, representatives, successors and assigns for any and all injuries suffered by me in connection with any participation in all programs and rental of any equipment including but not limited to any omissions or negligent acts of Keweenaw Mountain Lodge, Keweenaw Resort, LLC including its owners or employees.
Along with the general lodging policies listed above, we have additional lodging policies for our winter reservations.
Snowmobiles: Guests staying with us must trailer their snowmobiles in and out of the lodge property. There are no access trails on or around the lodge property. Guests can bring their snowmobiles 1 mile down to Copper Harbor via trailer to access the trailhead — as it is illegal to ride snowmobiles up/down US Hwy 41 because of the hazard such actions creates to snowmobilers and other vehicles on the highway.
Winter is considered November 1st to April 30th.
Final Important Note for Lodging Guests
We strive to have each lodging guest actively engaged in fun, joyous, and adventuresome experiences at the Lodge and in the Keweenaw. This is important to the Lodge team, and we have a culture and Lodging policies in place with our Lodge team that improves the probability that will happen for each lodging guest. That said, if we find that Lodging guests are not adhering to the Lodging policies and values, the Lodge reserves the right to have any guests removed from the premises immediately and without a refund.