Current Status of Application:
Submitted Application to B Labs, April 20, 2023
Keweenaw Resort, LLC, the owner of the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge, is working towards becoming a Certified B Corp.
The Certified B Corp concept is based upon using business as a force for good. At the Lodge we are a purposeful organization built upon solid values that take into account multiple stakeholders, including team members, customers and guests, our community, and our environment. [ Learn more about Certified B Corp at B Labs. ]
Why are we striving to be a certified B Corp?
Individuals want to work for and with, as well buy from, businesses they believe in. B Lab’s B Corp Certification is a powerful way to build credibility, trust, and value for our business, and to provide us a guideline for continuing to be a business that does good.
Examples of certified B Corps
These and other B Corps believe:
- That we must be the change we seek in the world.
- That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
- That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
- To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are each dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.
(Source: The B Corp Declaration of Interdependence)
We look to do the same as we move towards being a certified B Corp.
The B Impact Assessment is taken by organizations to determine if they are eligible for review by B Labs. An organization is required to score 80 or higher on their latest assessment to be eligible for review. Below are the annual B Impact Assessments that we have currently completed.
2022 Assessment of Keweenaw Resort, LLC (dba, Keweenaw Mountain Lodge)
View the KR – KML – Certified B Corp – 2022 Overall B Impact Score and 2022 Assessment Questions.
2020 Assessment of Keweenaw Resort, LLC (dba, Keweenaw Mountain Lodge)
View the KR – KML – Certified B Corp – 2020 Overall B Impact Score and 2020 Assessment Questions.
As we work to improve the organization and adhere to the standards of being a B Corp, it entails a multi-step process. One of the steps is to go through the assessment each year, with the goal of scoring an 80 or above. The status of our assessment is shown above. There is also a step to become a “Pending B Corp”. We are working on that process at this time as well.
Northern Michigan University and Good for Michigan – UP Cohort
Part of cohorts 1 and 2.
With the cohort 1, Fall 2021, Braden Golisek and Anna Watson, NMU students did a report on KML.
- KML – NMU – Good for Michigan – UP Cohort 1 – Report – Fall 2021
- KML – NMU – Good for Michigan – UP Cohort 1 – Recommendations – Fall 2021
Working with Delaney Quinn, NMU, on the 2022 assessment (as part of her internship).
- B Corps – The Movement (making business a force for good)
- About B Certification Corporation (guidelines, and checklist)
- Small Enterprise Guide (to learn more about how B Lab certifies small businesses)
- Pending B Corp Info (legal requirements for the state of Michigan)
- B Impact Assessment Login