Dawg Daze is an annual event that celebrates winter, trails and dogs. The first Dawg Daze was held on February 2021. There were two events: a time trial skijoring race called the Perimeter Dog Derby that circumnavigated the Perimeter Loop, and the Costume Contest, which is a dog and human costume contest. Since then we have expanded the event to include several more fun activities.
The Perimeter Dog Derby is a 2.1 km skijoring race around our perimeter loop. Skijoring is a winter sport in which a person on skis is pulled by a horse, a dog (or dogs) or a motor vehicle. The race at the Mountain Lodge is a one human and one dog race. The rules are simple:
- Only 1 dog and 1 person per team.
- Dog must be leashed or tethered at all times.
- A specific team only gets one chance around the course.
- You can start anytime between 11am and 1pm. There will be no starts after 1pm.
In the inaugural event in 2021 the Perimeter Dog Derby had eleven participants with times ranging from 7:11 to 15:58. Christine and Lolo had the winning time of 7:11 around the 2.1 km course.
Christine and Lolo coming across the finish line in 2021
In 2021 the Costume Contest had 4 teams participate. Bella and Samantha took top prize with their Mardi Gras themed ensemble.
Our judges were Zoe, Ava and Kate, local children from Copper Harbor
Dawg Daze is also a fundraiser for the Copper Country Humane Society (CCHC). The 2021 event raised $145, 8 cans of food, 3 bags of treats and a bag of sheets and blankets, all of which were donated to the CCHC.
Instances of the Event
- 2024 Dawg Daze (March 2, 2024)
- 2023 Dawg Daze (March 4, 2023) [ donated $141, along with blankets and canned food ]
- 2022 Dawg Daze (March 5, 2022) [ donated $55, along with canned food ]
- 2021 Dawg Daze (February 27, 2021) [ donated $145, along with canned food ]
Recaps of Past Instances of Dawg Daze