Recipes: The week of August 14th – 20th, 2023
Vegetables Baby Galette [ French-influence ]
Ingredients & Directions: “Galette” is a French terminology which refers to open face pie, typically a fruit pie. In this menu, I roasted yellow squash, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. Make the crust the same style as a pie crust (flour and butter, ice water), filled with the a/m vegetables, topped with Asiago cheese. Baked them till golden brown.
Shrimp & Rice Balls [ Chinese-influence ]
Ingredients & Directions: I cooked brown rice. I made a sauce with soy sauce, garlic, grated ginger, rice vinegar, Gochujang chili paste, black pepper, chopped cilantro and green onion, and sesame oil. I drizzled some of the sauce on the rice, mixed it thoroughly and started forming the rice balls. I pan seared the shrimp and placed it on each individual rice ball.
Two Sisters and a Stepbrother [ American Indian-influence ]
Ingredients & Directions: This is a straightforward kind of salad. Traditionally called “three sisters” in reference to how the Indians farmed the three vegetables together (corn, green beans, squash). I chose to say “stepbrother” because I replaced the squash with sweet potatoes.
Beef “Marchant de vin” [ French-influence ]
Ingredients & Directions: Beef strips cooked (braised) French-style with Cabernet Sauvignon, caramelized onions, mushroom, beef stock, and thyme. Refer top previous recipes titled “Beef Bourguignon”.
Stuffed Chicken Breast[ Italian- & American-influence ]
Ingredients & Directions: Double lobe chicken breast, stuffed with caramelized onions, bacon, mushroom and “Montelarreina” Spanish semi-hard aged cheese made of Eve’s milk, baked with white-wine cream sauce. The chicken, after being stuffed, is secured with toothpicks and then pan seared lightly on both sides. When ready for serving, place the stuffed breasts in chicken stock, add a bit of thyme, allow the breast to cook through in the stock. Add white wine (I personally used this time a mixture of Chablix and Zinfandel that imparted a bit of sweet and clean cut taste in the final sauce). I added heavy whipping cream and allowed the sauce to form by letting it simmer, thicken through semi-evaporation. Finish with parmesan cheese, stir and serve.
Vegetarian Stuffed Squash[ Lebanese-influence ]
Ingredients & Directions: Yellow squash stuffed with a mixture of rice, finely chopped yellow onions, diced tomatoes, and parsley, dressed in lemon and olive oil and dry mint. The yellow squashes are placed vertically, snug together and topped with enough water to cover them completely. Place a plate that can handle heat horizontally over the squashes. Cook gently till all is cooked through (the plate prevents the squashes from floating).
Hazelnut Chocolate Cake [ Switzerland-influence ]
Ingredients & Directions:
Source of Ingredients Used in the Dishes for this Menu
- Vegetables Baby Galette: Yellow Squash (Riverside Farms); Tomato (Growers Choice – Sysco); Mushroom (Imperial Fresh); Onion (Imperial Fresh); Asiago Cheese (Sysco Imperial);
- Shrimp & Rice Balls: Brown Rice; Shrimp; Green Onions; Corn; Cilantro; Lemon; Soy Sauce (Kikkoman); Rice Vinegar (Roland Specialty Foods); Garlic (I Love Produce – Product of Spain); Ginger (Heartland Produce – Product of Peru)
- Two Sisters and a Stepbrother: Green Beans; Corn; Sweet Potatoes;
- Beef “Marchant de vin”: Beef; Cabernet Sauvignon (Peter Vella Vineyards); Onions (Imperial Fresh); Mushroom (Imperial Fresh); Beef Stock (Minor’s Beef Base)
- Stuffed Chicken Breast: Chicken Breast; Onions; Bacon; “Montelarreina” Spanish semi-hard aged Cheese made of Ewe’s Milk (Quesos Montelarreina); Spaghetti
- Vegetarian Stuffed Squash: Yellow Squash (Riverside Farms); Rice; Onions (Imperial Fresh); Diced Tomatoes (Growers Choice – Sysco); Lemon Juice (Sahara Burst); Olive Oil (Arrezzio); Dry Spear Mint (Imported from Lebanon)
- Hazelnut Chocolate Cake: Creme Chantilly; Maraschino Cherries
Download the Recipes for August 14 – 20, 2023 in PDF format