Historical Timeline

Designated as an International Dark Sky Park

June 21, 2022

The Keweenaw Mountain Lodge, 560 acres, designated as an International Dark Sky Park by the International Dark-Sky Association. The park is named Keweenaw Dark Sky Park.

Read more

The Lodge is bought by Keweenaw Resort, LLC

September 5, 2018

Auction of the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge

July 26, 2018

Keweenaw County agrees to sell the Lodge via Auction

April 9, 2018

Lodge put up for sale

March 22, 2017

The Keweenaw Mountain Lodge Story Written (book) by Paul LaVanway

January 1, 2010

Frisbee Golf Course Constructed

January 1, 2009

Open During the 2008-09 Winter Season (for 1 Season)

December 1, 2008

Conference Center Expansion and Cabin Winterization

January 1, 2008

Motel Addition

May 1, 1984

U.P. Engineers and Architects designed the motel addition. Construction began with Arend Builders Inc., and was constructed adjacent to what had been the swimming pool that was built back in the 60’s by Superior Development. During construction of that pool, the soil was not compacted properly. As a result, during frost heaving one winter, the bottom of the pool cracked and wouldn’t hold water. Efforts to repair it failed, and it was filled in with mine rock, leveled, and paved to become a parking area.  The motels completion brought the lodges occupancy to a total of 41 rental units that could accommodate more than 100 guests. 

Read more

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

January 1, 1980

Designated a Michigan State Historic Site

January 1, 1976

Keweenaw County Resumes Operations (again)

May 1, 1970

Project Developers, Inc begin to operate the Lodge

March 24, 1970

Project Developers, Inc. began operating the lodge under a five-year land contract. Art Pontius became manager. He and his partner, William Greig tried to run the lodge year round and did not succeed. Project Developers failed to make a required $27,000 payment on January 1, 1971 and just after that Pontius and his partner walked away from the business. Literally. Without even…

Read more

Keweenaw County Resumes Operations

May 13, 1968

On May 13, 1968 Superior Development was found in default, and Circuit Judge Stephen D. Condon ruled that they were to forfeit all rights, title, and interest in the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge premises and Keweenaw County resumed ownership. They needed a monetary advance, and had to resolve several liens before opening for the 1968 season. The lodge showed a $10, 648 loss that season.

Read more

Superior Development Corporation begins operating the lodge

January 1, 1966

Superior Development began operating the lodge in 1966. Many upgrades and changes were made. A full-sized swimming pool was installed, the original handcrafted lounge and dining room furniture was replaced, the lounge was remodeled. The dining room had previously had a sort of dress code, “jacked and tie after 5” that was done away with.  Unfortunately, Superior Development was under capitalized and within a year went delinquent on it’s land contract. 

Read more

10 Cabins (Cottages) finished

July 1, 1937

“Shantytown” (Employee housing) built

December 1, 1936

Initially consisted of 13 small (8ft x 10ft) wooden shacks for employees to live, eat, and wash up.

Read more

Cabin (Cottage) construction begins

January 1, 1936

Clubhouse officially opens

June 23, 1935

2,000 people in 427 cars traveled to what was then known as the Keweenaw Park Resort for the opening of the golf course and lodge. A quote from the speech by Keweenaw County Relief Administrator U.V. Tervo…”A monument to what could be done. To the people of Keweenaw County, it is the dawn of a new industry- the tourist industry- and provides a wonderful opportunity for the future.”

Read more

First green seeded

August 27, 1934

Work on the Keweenaw Park and Golf Course Begins

November 6, 1933

With a crew of 124, work began on clearing the grounds and constructing a gravel entrance road. An estimated 18,700 trees were cut and 16, 500 stumps were blasted. 3,000 cords of wood were saved and distributed to local families on relief to be used for fuel. Of all the clearing and work done, only one team of horses was used with the majority of the work being done by hand.

Read more

View historical timeline (like Pebble Beach’s historical timeline)

image_pdfimage_print

Last modified on January 3rd, 2023 at 5:10 pm