Cook (Job Id: 20344)
Are you a team player and not afraid of getting your hands in the dough?
We are looking for cooks who enjoy working with food, be a teammate in a “can do” kitchen. You will be on a team that is responsible for creating a memorable food experience for Lodge guests — a food experience that will keep guests coming back for more. We are building a team in a fun, joyous, and adventuresome environment that will be supportive in working well, thriving, and learning.
For more specifics, see the responsibilities and activities to be performed by cooks at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge.
Responsibilities and activities performed
- Set-up and maintain clean and organized stations, line, cooking surfaces, appliances, coolers/freezers, and dish pit in compliance with health code. This also includes tables, shelves, broilers, sauté burners, ovens, flat top griddles, and refrigeration equipment before, during, and after service.
- Prepare food for service (for all shifts as well as special functions as coordinated with supervisor and team mates) – (e.g. chopping vegetables, butchering meat, seafood and poultry, or preparing sauces, weighing and portioning.
- Process prepared foods for service using ovens, gas stoves, griddles, broilers and fryers while assuring that each item is cooked to the Chef and guest’s specifications.
- Responsible for receiving incoming food shipments and auditing actual orders received versus the shipment list (counting), and verifying the quality of food/products received.
- Monitor inventory and report items that need to be reordered
- Maintain a clean uniform and personal hygiene.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the management staff.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of health and safety rules in kitchen and willingness to be trained and follow instructions for that purpose
- Knowledge of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipments, and procedures
- Ability to understand and carry out directions and assigned duties with accuracy and speed
- Basic reading and math skills
- Ability to measure ingredients accurately
- Ability to lift over 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Contribute to the fun, joyous, and adventuresome vibe of the Lodge
- Continuously wanting to learn about culinary arts
Prior kitchen experience is preferred, but not necessary (training provided, as well as the necessary equipment, tools, and supplies). Ideal candidates will possess general reading and math abilities, knowledge of cooking methods, and related skills.
Cooks must be able to lift over 50 pounds on a regular basis. While we give strong consideration to individuals with existing Food Handler/Manager and/or Allergen certifications, the Lodge is committed to assisting career-oriented candidates with associated certification program fees.
About the Lodge Culture
At the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge, we strive to provide a fun, joyous, and adventuresome working environment. An ideal employee behaves with integrity, honesty, and is always seeking opportunities to learn. The candidate we are seeking will provide excellent customer service, but will also support and help colleagues across the Lodge’s various departments.
$14-18/hour, depending on knowledge, skills, and abilities. Overtime pay when working overtime.
Start immediately. This position can be temporary to fulfill peak season (summer and fall, July – October) and operations (winter operations, November – March) — 9-11 months, or year-round based upon qualifications, as the resort is now open year-round.
Employee housing, rideshare, and healthcare insurance available.
We have housing available for employees this year in the hotel complex (double occupancy). [ View employee housing accommodations for the 2021 season ]. As well, we have a rideshare program that people can take advantage of for carpooling to and from the Lodge. [ View rideshare information ] Healthcare insurance is available after working 60 days at the Lodge. [ View healthcare information ]
Please complete the form below and upload your resume as a Word document or PDF file.
A Recommendation: When answering the question about providing “Examples of Your Values“, provide examples of how you live your values, and not just list your values in your answer. [ Recommendation: Review our team’s values. ]
For questions regarding this position, contact John Mueller at email@example.com.